Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Trust Exercise


In the theater company I'm currently with, I play a psycho person who towards the end of the play voluntarily falls of a six foot platform. About a week ago during rehearsal, we finalized the specifics as to how this was going to work, and began testing it out. 

The first test went well, the second test went even better, but the third one didn't really go...well you'll see what I mean: as I stepped to the edge of the platform and began to fall, my body decided to go into fight or flight mode, and made a "v" shape, causing my backside to land right in between one of the guys' arms, and my body to land right on the floor with most of the force onto my tailbone and the surrounding area. It did hurt a little, but not enough to sit out the rest of rehearsal. I got up, walked through the scene a couple more times, then tried the stunt again - this time, it was successful.

After all the initial excitement died down, I was able to feel the pain a little more clearly.

I learned something today - 1) theater is a no doubt dangerous place, and 2) trust is an amazing thing that is built,.

God taught me the latter in full today. The following excerpt taken from Matthew 14: 22-36 pretty much covers my feelings on the matter:

Verses 28-31:
"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come," He said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

Why do we doubt? If God can walk on water and heal people with the touch of his hand, why do we not trust Him with our lives? Hasn't God given us a reason to trust Him by simply waking us up everyday without fail?
God is good, faithful, and trustworthy. Lean on that, and trust in Him remembering that God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment