Thursday, September 05, 2013

Finally.


If you knew found out how many times I've tried to start writing this blog post, you probably wouldn't read my blog anymore because of the lack of determination/extremely hectic and busy lifestyles I've recently acquired.

...And yet, you're still here after reading that first sentence so that's a good sign, right?

Two weeks and a couple days ago, I moved away from my humble abode to my new (even more humble) abode at college. Throughout these past few weeks, I've learned quite a bit about myself ranging from how I like my coffee to how tall my pile of clothes has to get before I decide to do something about it. In the midst of it all, though, I've discovered one thing that will never change - my need for God.

Yes, I'm going to a Christian school, and yes they do a very good job of incorporating God into every aspect of life here, but what I'm talking about is much more than that.

Moving to a town and place that was and is foreign to me presents countless challenges opportunities to grow not only in my humanistic experiences, but also my faith. Between rushing to finished required reading for a class that starts in ten minutes and trying to eat semi-healthily at the all you can eat cafe, I've had several times where I've felt utterly helpless and alone.
This is where God comes in, and boy, does He have a grand entrance.

One of the classes I am taking is a mandatory class for all incoming students called "Foundations of Spiritual Formation." I unfortunately have to take this class on Tuesday nights from 6-9pm... yes, you read right - it's a three hour class... at night. One of the assignments for this class are daily devotionals, as the class is about providing assistance in forming your spiritual life. We are currently using the "Morning and Evening Devotional" by Charles Spurgeon, which has so far been pretty spot-on in terms of it speaking to me in my life's current situations. In addition to reading each day's devotionals, we are required to choose one of them to write a reflection on.

I suppose now would be a good time to point out that at my college, worthiness is our theme this year.

Anyway, back to the daily devotionals.
Last Friday, I was reading my morning devotional (which you can read HERE). This particular morning's readings touched on the concept of "waiting on the Lord" and its importance. You can only imagine the impact it had on my life at that moment, because with all of the stress that came with the first official week of classes, I was feeling quite antsy, and very overwhelmed. I began feeling anxious about my life here at college, and naturally started feeling a tad (okay, very) homesick. While I was reading this devotional, I immediately felt a sense of peace - the sort of peace that only comes from God.

If you would like to read the Charles Spurgeon Morning and Evening Devotional, click HERE.

I realize that feeling homesick is an unavoidable part of this adventure, but the importance of learning to cope with missing my family and friends is going to be an essential part of my success here at college.
Sure, I have my new friends here who are absolutely fantastic, don't get me wrong. But there are things you just miss from your comfortable life at home, such as the luxury of getting into a car and visiting people on a whim.

One HUGE part of my coping process has and will be receiving letters from people at home.

Little disclaimer: If you haven't sent me a letter, please do not feel guilty or obligated to send me one - this is not the point I'm trying to get across, I assure you. I'm just sharing with you the blessings I've received from people who have felt led to send me one.

Anyway, back to the story!
Over the past two weeks, different people have sent me letters containing either encouragement, or birthday wishes, and let me tell you this - I am so utterly thankful for them. It seems like the days I am having the toughest time, God has a letter show up in my P.o. box.
One day in particular, I was feeling unusually down in the dumps. I felt as if I wasn't going to be able to get through this "college thing," and would have to pack up my things and go home, discouraged and disappointed. I asked God to show or tell me something that would help guide my thoughts and feelings, and this was the outcome:
I randomly felt an odd urge to check my P.o. box. In it was a letter from someone I was overjoyed to hear so unexpectedly from. Below is a section from this person's letter that particularly touched me:

"I hope this note thing finds you in a great mood, but if not, be encouraged!
Here's why:

1. God's got ya.
2. He knows and hears your prayers.
3. You're awesome.
4. Read Psalm 20."


-------------------

If you aren't familiar with Psalm 20, here you go:

May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
May he send you help from the sanctuary
and grant you support from Zion.
May he remember all your sacrifices
and accept your burnt offerings.
May he give you the desire of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.
May we shout for joy over your victory
and lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the Lord grant all your requests.
Now this I know:
The Lord gives victory to his anointed.
He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary
with the victorious power of his right hand.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall,
but we rise up and stand firm.
Lord, give victory to the king!
Answer us when we call!

-------------------

I felt the stress from my shoulders melt off, as a few tears streamed down my face - this person didn't know what I was going through that day, but God used them to completely turn my day around and give me hope. I can't express how much they blessed me - thank you so much, person... and to everyone and anyone else who has sent me letters lately, thank you so much. You have all blessed me and made me feel like I'm not forgotten, and that is priceless.

On a lighter and completely different note, below are just a few pictures of my life at college so far.


Move-In day! (Mom, Jamison, Me, & Dad)


Our room!


My roommate and I on our first trip to Walmart together - she is the best.
God is so good.


We got a beta fish! His name is Bauer - yes, like Jack Bauer. Significance? My roommate and I are absolutely obsessed with 24.



On one of our trips to Walmart (not the first trip), Naomi's car completely died. This was quite the adventure that I might write a whole 'nother blog post about sometime.


-------------------


So there you have it, folks; My recent account of what's been going on in my life as of late. How has God been showing up in your life recently? I'd absolutely love to hear about it.

My email:
darlingsimplicity@gmail.com

Mailing address:
PO box 800 161
Toccoa Falls, GA 30598

Thank you for reading! Stay tuned for more updates on my crazy college life.


No comments:

Post a Comment