Monday, January 06, 2014

Fasting...and Juice


"What the poop is a juice fast?" ← my first thought upon hearing my parents talk about juice fasting for the first time. It had only been one short month since I moved away to school - had they become health nuts already?

Okay, okay, so I may or may not have had a similar reaction to George Banks in Father of the Bride where he went out and bought a whole-lotta-hot dog buns at the store. Needless to say, this extreme shift in their view on food took me by surprise. Not a bad surprise, just... different.
I was certainly up for hearing about it as I shoved half of a ham and cheese Hot Pocket into my mouth, and was quite surprised at how serious they were taking this whole juicing thing.

As it turns out, juicing takes up a lot of your time initially, but is extremely beneficial to your body in the long run. My parents had just come off of a 10-day juice fast, and loved it! They later went on to repeat the same fast a month or so later.

With me living back at home, I have decided to give this thing a try. My father and I went to the farmer's market last week and stocked up on all of the ingredients we'd need to do this thing, and in the process got a few odd glances as our kart literally looked as if we were stocking up for a restaurant's crazy lunch hour rush.


The problem, however, was figuring out how to store all of the food once we got home...


(We managed)

Once the "easy" part was over, we had to juice the goods. This took about four and a half hours. (Yes, you read correctly.) Preparing and cleaning the veggies and fruits was quite the task. Fortunately, running them through the big-bad-juicing-machine was a lot more enjoyable.

Today was the first day of the juice fast. I'd be lying to you if I said "Man, this is a piece of cake!" Because frankly, I've been craving just that. Well, anything that crunches, squishes, or requires some effort in terms of getting food to the point where I can swallow it and digest it, would be lovely. But alas, I must carry on!

Why?


I'm participating in this juice fast (willingly, and at times unwillingly) for several reasons:
1. For my moral and happiness to depend less on eating throughout the day.
2. To cleanse my body of all the onion rings and chicken fingers I ate while away at school. (no regrets)
3. To spend less time worrying about my weight, and more time on the important things in life.

I'm not exactly sure if I'll be able to do the full 10-day juice only fast, but I'm definitely going to try my hardest.
Oh! And If you're curious, this is what breakfast and lunch looked like for me this morning. Breakfast (the orange drink): carrots, oranges, apples, and lemons. Lunch: apples, cucumbers, kale, and parsley.



No comments:

Post a Comment