Saturday, July 06, 2013

Mason Jar Makeover


As you might have read, last weekend I threw my 'rustic chic' themed graduation party - a large part of which was created with mason jars. Mason jars have become an extremely popular way to spice up your space, and tutorials for finding ideas can be found everywhere. The most prominite site mason jar crafts are found is Pinterest, although other sites have some great ideas as well. For this post, I decided to gather my most recent ideas and crafti-ness, and share them with you.



If you have ever laid eyes on the wonderful site Pinterest, you will have surely seen the "painted mason jars" pin (like these) at least one time. After looking through several inspiring pins, I sort of derived my own version, attempted, and succeeded!

------------


You'll want to start off with a clean mason jar (of any size), and some acrylic paint. For this tutorial, I used a white acrylic paint, but you are of course free to use whatever color you'd like.



Begin by pouring a good amount of paint into the bottom of the mason jar.



Pick up your jar and turn it sideways, slowly rotating and tilting it downwards towards the 'mouth' of the jar. Your goal is to coat the insides with paint as you rotate it.



After the paint has covered most of the surface inside your jar, turn it upside down on a flat surface to allow the paint to finish coating the empty spaces; This step also drains the excess paint from the jar.



You will need to pick up and relocate your jar from time to time to give it a chance to drain the paint on a different surface to avoid paint build up near the mouth of your jar (shown in the example above). After a few hours, turn your jar right side up to allow it to finish drying.


Once the paint has fully dried, you're free to fill up your jars with whatever you'd like. I painted the below wide mouth quart mason jars in an ombre blue paint pattern with a hint of gold.



------------

For a smaller-scale project, try picking up some chalkboard paint at your local craft store and paint a small section of paint onto your jars near the top. Drill a hole into the lid using an electric screwdriver, then afix grommets onto the hole to create a more sturdy opening. Pop a straw in, grab some chalk, and there you have it! Your own (personalized) mason jar tumbler. (If you would like a more detailed tutorial of this process, let me know in the comments.)



You could also forgo the lid and straw idea and use the mason jars for storage!



------------

The following decorations I used and created for my graduation party last weekend. I took wide mouth quart sized mason jars, filled them with different colored aquarium pebbles, and bright daisies I found at my local craft shop. After all was said and done with the deco, I had some burlap scraps left over which I used to wrap around the jars to add an extra flair.



------------

If you're only using the flower decorations for a short amount of time, you can use the same pebbles and jars as makeup brush holders. The pebbles provide an extra lift the brushes need to clear the top of the jars, and also keep the brushes in place.




(My silly kitty Zoe wanted in on the fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment